Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Blessings before eating or drinking
A Good Day!

Should one refrain from learning Torah while 'having a bite'?
And should one not watch TV, or listen to the Radio or music while eating?

Thank you.
Joachim ben Noach Wrote:Should one refrain from learning Torah while 'having a bite'?

There is no prohibition against that. But some people refrain from learning Torah while they're eating because to them it seems irreverant, so it makes them uncomfortable. On the other hand, when you're eating with others, it's a special merit to take a break from eating so you can relate and discuss topics of Torah.

If you have taken upon yourself to say a blessing or prayer to G-d for your food before and/or after eating (which is optional but meritorious for a Noahide), you need to be careful not to forget to make the blessing or prayer when you're also engaged in reading anything, since you might get distracted or engrossed by your reading.

It is worth mentioning that the fifth Rebbe of Chabad, Rabbi Sholom DovBer, was displeased by people who would eat or drink while learning a Chassidic text.

Joachim ben Noach Wrote:And should one not watch TV, or listen to the Radio or music while eating?

The same caution applies. If you have taken upon yourself to say a blessing to G-d for your food before and/or after eating, you should be careful not to get so distracted or engrossed in those other things that you might forget to say a blessing. Some people who are easily distracted might need to turn off the TV or radio when they begin and finish eating, so they can be sure to make the proper blessings or prayers of thanks that they would want to say.
BS"D

I have been saying the blessings over food in Hebrew for some time: but shall I understand from the Divine Code book that they may only be said in translation?
Also, is no blessing whatsoever said after a drink or small snack? Until obtaining the Divine Code book I said, after any meal, drink or snack: "Baruch atah [HaShem], Eloheinu Melech HaOlam, Borei nefashot ..." cutting short the Jewish "Borei Nifashot..." blessing. Now I merely say 'Thank you for this water/coffee etc.'

May I learn and use all Hebrew Jewish blessings relating to food, except the Jewish 'Grace after meals'?

Thank you.
Joachim ben Noach Wrote:BS"D
I have been saying the blessings over food in Hebrew for some time: but shall I understand from the Divine Code book that they may only be said in translation?

You may say the blessings to G-d over food, in any language, as long as you understand the words you're saying.

Joachim ben Noach Wrote:Also, is no blessing whatsoever said after a drink or small snack?

The Jewish Sages established blessings after eating or drinking that would be said only after ingesting a filling amount (at least about an ounce in weight of food, and about 3.5 fluid ounces of drink).

Joachim ben Noach Wrote:Until obtaining the Divine Code book I said, after any meal, drink or snack: "Baruch atah [HaShem], Eloheinu Melech HaOlam, Borei nefashot ..." cutting short the Jewish "Borei Nifashot..." blessing.

If you are going to say a blessing to G-d for food, before or after eating or drinking, using that Hebrew liturgical phrase that the Sages established ("Baruch atah [HaShem], Eloheinu Melech HaOlam ... [etc.]"), then it would be preferable to complete the blessing, using the phrase that the Sages established.

Joachim ben Noach Wrote:Now I merely say 'Thank you for this water/coffee etc.'

That's OK too.

Joachim ben Noach Wrote:May I learn and use all Hebrew Jewish blessings relating to food, except the Jewish 'Grace after meals'?

The recommended blessings are printed in "The Divine Code," Volume 1, and those can be said in Hebrew if you understand the words.
BS"D

Thank you.

I should have included this above:
When one eats various categories of food in one meal, and several blessings are said, does one say the full blessing several times using G-d's names, or does one merely add the second part of the blessing introducing that new category (Blessed are You, L-rd our G-d, King of the universe, Who creates [this], and Who creates [this], and Who creates [this])?

Thank you again!
The traditional format is to say the appropriate separate blessing before eating a representative piece of each type of food.

For example: a cracker, then a fruit, then a vegatable, then a dairy or meat product.

If you are having bread with a meal, first saying the blessing for the bread will include everything else that you're going to eat or drink during the meal (except for grape wine or grape juice, which always gets its own blessing).
The guideline is that if you are going to eat one thing first, and then another thing, the two things can be covered with one appropriate blessing only if you wait less time between them than it will take for the first thing you ate to be digested. If you wait that much time or longer, another blessing would be said for the second thing (even if it is the same type of food).

How long would you consider that it takes for your food to be digested? If you were only moderately hungery and then you ate an egg or a slice of bread within a few minutes, it would be the time it takes for you to feel as hungry again as you did just before you ate.

More guidelines for blessings on food and beverages can be found in our booklet of prayers and blessings for Noahides:

https://asknoah.org/books/prayers-blessi...r-noahides
Hi to all,

I have habit of watching TV or listening song during while I'm eating. I also pray before a eating any thing.
Hi! When i'm in school, i feel uncomfortable saying the blessings among the other students. Is it okay just whisper the blessings? Or can i go away so i'm lonley when saying the blessing? Do i have to be in the same room as the food when saying the blessings? I use to try to say the blessing before and after the eating, even in school.
Good job for doing what is right - even though it is uncomfortable for you. You are not giving up even though it is obviously not easy for you.

Regarding the actual requirements - the blessings before eating and drinking should ideally be said in the same place where you sit and eat, right before you begin to eat, while you are holding the food in your hand or on your fork or spoon, etc. You can definitely whisper the words of the blessing without anyone else hearing them, as long as you can hear what you're saying. The important thing is that your are thanking G-d.

As a final point, remember that you began to say these blessings because you saw the truth in saying them. There is no reason for you to think that the same truth, once apparent to another person, will be rejected or will be a reason for others to make fun of you. Who knows - you may even be respected for it! If someone sees you whisper a blessing, don't be ashamed to answer briefly "I am thanking G-d for my food. That's all." Chances are no one will make a fuss and almost certainly it will not bother anybody.

Be well!