Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The need for a Rabbi and related questions
(02-15-2012, 01:07 AM)amenyahu Wrote: Thanks you so much for your reply. I've got more questions. I believe you know I respect your answers.

1) How much of the Noahide law is to be interpreted by Orthodox Rabbis and how much by a Noahide?

Here are a few points from Rabbi Moshe Weiner, author of "The Divine Code", in regard to this question:

- Within the scope of the Seven Noahide Commandments, the prohibition against establishing a "new law" only applies to those aspects of the laws that were commanded by G-d Himself as part of the Torah of Moses from Sinai, since the establishment of Torah Law is not in the jurisdiction of Gentiles. Gentiles may, however, through their systems of laws and courts. establish rules in regard to other laws that they take upon themselves, or matters that should be logically and morally binding, including monetary and business laws and the like, which the various countries have established for themselves. However, these legal decisions are specifically under the jurisdiction of established and empowered courts of law (are are not to be decided by individual personal opinions, willy-nilly). So far as a ruling government establishes laws that are not in conflict with the Torah Laws for Gentiles, that is what becomes the law of the land that a Gentile is obligated to abide by.

- The Gentile courts have jurisdiction to make decisions regarding monetary cases (not involving theft) as per their understanding, and if they decide to change one of the laws that they have previously decided in this area, they may do so as well.

- The people who write the laws, and the judges who rule on the applications of these laws, must establish them according to their knowledge of the true needs of the country’s population, and the establishment of moral society.  They do not necessarily need to follow the Jewish monetary laws. Rather, they may rule similarly or differently based on their view of what is necessary for the specific society of their country. The laws must obviously conform to logical and moral standards.

- In other words, a Gentile court’s judgments within the scope of the Seven Noahide Laws commanded by G-d should specifically follow the guidelines that the Torah of Moses has set (and these guidelines are part of the Oral Torah), and the court should not nullify or change these laws. However,  the judges do have an obligation (as part of the Noahide Commandment to establish laws and courts) to establish or uphold laws in the other areas that fall under their jurisprudence, and they are forbidden to completely ignore such issues. Any such lack of response to these matters (especially in an area where there is clearly a need for such laws - for example, cases of deliberate or negligent non-lethal personal injury) constitutes a failure to keep the Noahide commandment to establish laws and courts. The determination of those particular "secular" laws, and the penalties for breaking those laws, falls under the jurisprudence of the Gentile courts and law-makers.

- Hence, all laws can be divided into two categories:
(a) those that were commanded by G-d in the Torah of Moses from Sinai, and
(b) those involving (i) areas other than the specific Noahide Commandments, or (ii) situations in which the evidence does not meet the Torah standards for conviction in a Noahide court - for example, if the only evidence is the criminal's own confession, or circumstantial evidence (such as fingerprints, with no eye-witnesses), the judges may decide to convict and punish based on legal rules that the society has accepted and established for this situation.

(02-15-2012, 01:07 AM)amenyahu Wrote: 2) How does a Noahide know if he's ever qualified to make such decisions?

An observant and pious Noahide who becomes a Torah scholar in the area of the Seven Noahide Commandments is worthy of as much respect as a Jewish High Priest who serves in the Holy Temple, in the Holy of Holies.

(02-15-2012, 01:07 AM)amenyahu Wrote: 3) if you can help me get tutelage under a Rabbi and build the ties between our scattered community that would be great.

Let us know where you are located, since there may be a Rabbi or an expert layperson (Jewish or Noahide) in your vicinity whom I can recommend as a tutor.

(02-15-2012, 01:07 AM)amenyahu Wrote: About Youtube, I'm on of the few, if any, who tries to directly combat those who put down the Noahide law. "The Divine Code" has been an invaluable source and I have used it to refute them. I don't believe I've put across info that is against "The Divine Code". But without vetting from a Torah knowledgeable Jew or Noahide, I've just gotta make sure to speak where no one else appears to speak until someone more qualified comes, or until I become more qualified.

I am not ignorant of the laws, and I do my best to research my answers, making sure to point back to https://asknoah.org when appropriate. The benefits of having my voice out there seems to outweigh the risks (which I try to minimize, through study and inquiry).

Thanks for all your help

You're welcome! That's what we are here for.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The need for a rabbi and other questions - by Director Michael - 02-20-2012, 12:01 AM
RE: The need for a rabbi and other questions - by excited_for_life - 01-11-2012, 11:11 PM
looking for a tutor - by AskNoah fan - 02-20-2012, 04:31 PM
RE: The need for a Rabbi and other questions - by AskNoah fan - 02-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Ger Toshav and Rambam - by amenyahu - 01-11-2013, 03:39 AM
RE: Ger Toshav and Rambam - by Director Michael - 01-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Is this an obligation? - by GentileLaw - 07-08-2015, 02:58 AM
Rabbinical Jurisdiction - by amenyahu - 01-13-2014, 11:46 PM