Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it OK to learn Hebrew and learn the Torah in Hebrew?
Question 
Is ok to learn Hebrew and learn the Torah in Hebrew?
There are three separate issues here. I will address them one by one.
#1 A Gentile may learn Hebrew as a language for the knowledge of knowing another language.
#2 A Gentile is only allowed to learn those parts of Torah that are relevant to the Seven Noahide Commandments and the Noahide faith, and since these areas have been reliably translated into many languages by Orthodox Jewish sources, there is no need to learn them in Hebrew.
#3 As for Torah study though, a believing Gentile may read the Hebrew Bible (Tanach), etc. if it is only to gain knowledge of what is written and not to involve one's self in expounding Torah or seeking to derive new explanations in it.
Rabbi Yitz
Shalom Rabbi
Is it possible that a Noahide use Torah software that reads the holy text and pronounces the words?
Isn't just reading the text or listening and repeating being considered a holy act? Is that a Mitsvah for Noahides too? Thank you very much Rabbi for your replies Smile
Yours respectfully
elinor
Sh'lom Elinor,

oceanoah Wrote:Shalom Rabbi
Is it possible that a Noahide use Torah software that reads the holy text and pronounces the words?
Isn't just reading the text or listening and repeating being considered a holy act? Is that a Mitsvah for Noahides too?

Rabbi Yitz asked me to refer you to his post #2 above, in which he wrote:

rabbiyitz Wrote:#3. As for Torah study though, a believing Gentile may read the Hebrew Bible (Tanach), etc. if it is only to gain knowledge of what is written and not to involve one's self in expounding Torah or seeking to derive new explanations in it.

It wasn't brought out there as a separate point, but the purpose for a Noahide to be involved with Torah is for gaining or reviewing knowledge and understanding which will improve and enhance one's observance of the Seven Noahide Commandments (which includes quoting Bible verses as words of prayer, in a language that's understood). So if a Noahide is just *reciting* the words of Torah in a language that is not understood, especially the original Hebrew, that is an inappropriate involvement in Torah.

Just reciting the original Hebrew text, or listening and repeating, even if it is not understood, in only a mitzvah for a Jew, since it is included within the Jewish commandment to be involved with words of Torah.

There does not seem to be any problem if a Noahide who does not understand Hebrew just listens to someone else reading the text. Thus a Noahide could attend a synagogue service and listen to the Torah being read, but there would be no mitzvah involved in that.
Shalom!

From previous posts I didn't understand if I can learn Hebrew from my Artscroll Tanakh and dictionaries in order to study Chumash and other parts of Tanakh in Hebrew?
The Artscroll Tanakh (Hebrew Bible) and dictionaries are not sufficient to give you enough knowledge, understanding and expertise to be able to reliably study Chumash (the Five Books of Moses) and other parts of Tanakh directly on your own from the Biblical Hebrew, without reference to existing reliable translations along with classical explanations (known as "commentaries") from the Jewish sages.