Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vows and Oaths
My post is about vows. I think I read somewhere that if someone does something three times in a row that thing becomes a vow or like a vow, and the person is now obligated to do it. Is this true for Noahides?

For example, if I repent three days in a row have I now made a vow and am obligated to repent everyday? Another example, when I was a child I decided to become a vegetarian. I have now eaten many vegetarian meals in a row. Can I now never change my mind and eat meat? Could I have made a vow just by stating that I was a vegetarian? I never had in mind the possibility that I could be making a vow when I did these things.

I am also worried about having possibly made vows/promises in the past before I began studying Noahidism and was less conscientious about certain things, by saying I would or wouldn't do something. Sometimes using the word "promise" and sometimes not. I don't think I ever used the word "vow." In some instances I carried the things out; in others I didn't.

I can't remember all the incidents, as this is talking about basically my whole life. What can I do? I know you should always do as you say, but is that the same thing as a vow? Before studying Noahidism I was more careless about things and am now worried. Thank you in advance for any and all help.

Messages In This Thread
Vows and Oaths - by bdschuh - 05-15-2008, 02:52 AM
RE: Vows and Oaths - by Director Michael - 07-29-2009, 02:59 PM
RE: Vows and Oaths - by Director Michael - 02-17-2010, 02:10 AM
RE: Vows and Oaths - by Director Michael - 08-29-2015, 09:08 AM
RE: Vows - by Director Michael - 05-20-2008, 09:44 PM
RE: Vows - by rabbiyitz - 05-21-2008, 05:08 AM
Making an Oath - by Finch - 02-16-2010, 02:29 AM
Questions about possibly having made vows - by cnk15 - 08-22-2015, 06:30 AM
RE: Vows and Oaths - by Director Michael - 08-27-2015, 01:45 PM