Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern & classic books: Torah ethics, Mussar, history
Is it acceptable for Noahides to read books by Rabbi Joseph Telushkin such as his two books on "A Code of Jewish Ethics"? Although these are for a Jewish audience, they appear to me to be applicable on many issues to Noahides as well. Some of his other books (such as Biblical literacy, etc.) seem open to a wider audience, but I would like to confirm the appropriateness in general of books for Noahides if they were written specifically for a Jewish audience.

thanks!
When Noahides look for general-audience reading material from Rabbinical authors, it's highly recommended to look for authors who are committed to the traditional Torah faith. So for contemporary books on the subjects you mentioned, we recommend Orthodox Jewish authors, such as Rabbi Zelig Pliskin and Rabbi Dr. Abraham Twerski. Contemporary basic-level books from Orthodox Rabbis on Torah-based ethics, self-improvement, positive outlook, etc. are OK for Noahides.
(12-30-2009, 02:30 AM)Director Michael Wrote: When Noahides look for general-audience reading material from Rabbinical authors, it's highly recommended to look for authors who are committed to the traditional Torah faith. So for contemporary books on the subjects you mentioned, we recommend Orthodox Jewish authors, such as Rabbi Zelig Pliskin and Rabbi Dr. Abraham Twerski. Contemporary basic-level books from Orthodox Rabbis on Torah-based ethics, self-improvement, positive outlook, etc. are OK for Noahides.

Since there seem to be so many "Noahide" groups and authors out there I am wondering about a number of books/authors which I have either read or had intentions to read (these are Noahide specific). My intention is not to endorse or even ask for highly critical review of the works/authors I am just looking for some basic guidance in relation to some of these texts if any is available.

There are a number of books which take critical looks at teachings/doctrines of my former non-Torah religion. I have three of them but have only read one. Coming from that background myself and now approaching my former idolatry from the standpoint of an observant Noahide I find it important to my own intellectual needs to read refutations of the falsehoods I was raised with.

In this same genre is Gerald Sigal who is Jewish and has written a number of books (some of which appear self-published which raises some questions for me) on the Messianic claims made by other religions, one which I am currently reading is "Isaiah 53 who is the servant" and I find it well written and researched and so far a "good read".

Other books on my list are more about "spirituality" in general and are authored by Rabbi's Lazer Brody, and another is by Shalom Arush.

As for learning the 7 Mitzvot I stick with The Divine Code so I am not looking for other texts on that subject, but in general having been an educator myself at one time and having spent a great deal of my "free" time reading books on theology/spirituality which is my chosen topic of research I am looking for material's that are in that genre as well as more texts on Mashiach (the true Messiah from the dynasty of King David) which will help me formulate my words better as I "defend" my faith on the One G-d of the Bible and His commandments to Noah's descendants.
(01-01-2014, 04:40 AM)rocnoahide Wrote: Since there seem to be so many "Noahide" groups and authors out there I am wondering about a number of books/authors which I have either read or had intentions to read (these are Noahide specific). My intention is not to endorse or even ask for highly critical review of the works/authors I am just looking for some basic guidance in relation to some of these texts if any is available.

One answer is that you can study The Divine Code by Rabbi Moshe Weiner of Jerusalem, and then use that to judge the correctness and reliability of other texts that you might think of reading. Or you can short-cut that process and send a "Contact Us" message asking for basic guidance on the specific text(s) you are interested in:

https://asknoah.org/contactus

(01-01-2014, 04:40 AM)rocnoahide Wrote: There are a number of books which take critical looks at teachings/doctrines of my former non-Torah religion. I have three of them but have only read one. Coming from that background myself and now approaching my former idolatry from the standpoint of an observant Noahide I find it important to my own intellectual needs to read refutations of the falsehoods I was raised with.

IF this is important for you at this stage in your Noahide path, there are certainly many refutation books available, since the refutations are very well known and established. Many of these simply hinge on proper translation and proper understanding of the straightforward meaning of the original Hebrew text, and for that, you as a Noahide can read the traditional verse-by-verse explanations by Rashi (available for example, in the Hebrew Bible on Chabad.org). We also recommend the classical book by Ramban (Nachmanides), with his transcript of his forced refutation debate in Barcelona:

https://www.amazon.com/Disputation-Barce...684114004/

(01-01-2014, 04:40 AM)rocnoahide Wrote: In this same genre is Gerald Sigal who is Jewish and has written a number of books (some of which appear self-published which raises some questions for me) on the Messianic claims made by other religions, one which I am currently reading is "Isaiah 53 who is the servant" and I find it well written and researched and so far a "good read".

Thanks for that review. We have not yet reviewed the book.

(01-01-2014, 04:40 AM)rocnoahide Wrote: Other books on my list are more about "spirituality" in general and are authored by Rabbi's Lazer Brody, and another is by Shalom Arush.

Some of the books by Rabbi Lazer Brody and Rabbi Shalom Arush are directed more specifically to Jewish readers.

(01-01-2014, 04:40 AM)rocnoahide Wrote: As for learning the 7 Mitzvot I stick with the Divine Code so I am not looking for other texts on that subject, but in general having been an educator myself at one time and having spent a great deal of my "free" time reading books on theology/spirituality which is my chosen topic of research I am looking for material's that are in that genre as well as more texts on Mashiach (the true Messiah from the dynasty of King David) which will help me formulate my words better as I "defend" my faith on the One G-d of the Bible and His commandments to Noah's descendants.

We have a list of recommended books on this subject of "Moshiach, Redemption and the Holy Temple", on this page of the web site: https://asknoah.org/books?cat=154
Though essentially Jewish, this site has some applicable content:

Jewish History: https://www.chabad.org/library/article_c...istory.htm

Hebrew Bible with explanations by Rashi: https://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo...-Rashi.htm
Quote:Hello, I wanted to ask about Mussar Literature and if a Noahide can read and apply their teachings?

Yes, as it's stated in our book The Divine Code, 4th Edition, Part I, Chapter 5, by Rabbi Moshe Weiner.
Here is a link to our page for this book: https://asknoah.org/books/the-divine-code

Quote:Recently, I've been reading the book Chofetz Chaim from Artscroll (about the precepts of the prohibition of lashon hara), and the Loving Kindness volume - also from Artscroll - that references his work Ahavat Chesed. Am I correct in assuming that as long as a Noahide reads these texts and applies them not as commandments, but as the logical extension of the Seven Laws of Noah to improve his character traits, these texts would be not only helpful to read, but praiseworthy?

Correct. The Torah laws of the prohibition of lashon hara ("evil speech" - evil gossip and tale-bearing) are an offshoot of the Noahide commandment that forbids murder and injury.

Quote:This assuming that reading these texts is secondary to studying the Noahide Laws properly and deeply learning their details.

That would be the ideal approach. The prohibition of lashon hara as it applies for Gentiles is covered in our book The Divine Code, Part 5, Chapter 8.