Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should repayment for theft include include a penalty?
When Solomon ruled (if I am correct) that a thief when he steals to satisfy his own need (I remember this to be physical need, i.e. because he is starving), then when he is caught he will repay 7 times that which he stole. Does that apply to the World to Come as well, or will there simply be no one starving there for that rule to apply to?
What you are referring to is in the verses Proverbs 6:30-31. In this section of Proverbs, King Solomon is contrasting the sins of theft vs. adultery:

6:30. They will not despise a thief if he steals to sate his appetite, for he is hungry.
6:31. And if he is found, he will pay sevenfold; he must give all he owns.

This is not stating an exact legal ruling within the Torah Law for Jews, but rather it is teaching a general lesson, and the expression "sevenfold" is sometimes used in the Hebrew Scriptures to express the meaning of "many times over."

Rashi gives the meaning within his explanation of the following verse:

6:32. One who commits adultery with a woman is devoid of sense; one who would destroy his soul - he will do it.

Rashi explains there:
"One who commits adultery with a woman": The three of them are combined in one statement. If a thief commits a theft, he should not be despised as much as the adulterer. Why? Because he steals in order to sate his hunger, and perhaps he has nothing to eat [so he is starving, and he steals food, or valuables to buy food, to save his life]. And, when he is found, he [a Jew, in accordance with the Torah Law for Jews] can rectify his sin with payment [if he confesses]; at the most, he will pay "sevenfold," i.e., many times the [minimum] double payment and even fifty times for one [for example, if he confesses, then retracts, then confesses again, many times over]. Some explain “sevenfold” as referring to one who steals an ox and its trappings and slaughters it, who pays [as his penalty for stealing the ox] five cattle and double payment of the trappings (totaling seven).

"he must give all he owns": literally, he must give all the property of his house [if necessary to meet the amount of the penalty]. And, even if he must sell all he owns because of this, he can nevertheless rectify it, and from the beginning he did it because of hunger. But…

"One who commits adultery with a woman is devoid of sense": since he does not do it because of hunger [i.e. life-threatening starvation].

"one who would destroy his soul - he will do it": The lewd act [of adultery].

(12-27-2015, 10:41 AM)brandynpublic Wrote: Does that apply to the World to Come as well, or will there simply be no one starving there for that rule to apply to?

In the Messianic Era in general, and certainly not in its highest level of "the World to Come" after the Resurrection of the righteous, nobody will commit sins, including theft. And there also will be no one physically starving in the Messianic Era, as Maimonides (Rambam) teaches at the end of Mishneh Torah, in Laws of Kings, end of Chapter 12:
"In that [Messianic] era, there will be neither famine or war, envy or competition for good will flow in abundance and all the delights will be freely available as dust. The occupation of the entire world will be solely to know G-d."