Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proper Speech
This was a good question, and I appreciate "Finch" for asking it. It is especially important a question in the United States right now with an important mid-term election gearing up. This is historically the time in an election when all sorts of accusations are thrown around.
Should a Noahide try to refute accusations they think are false?
As an example, in another forum, some deniers of the Torah tradition claimed that King David committed murder and adultery. I have examined the issue as well as I can, and from what I have read, it seems the accusation is false. There is no doubt David's actions were less than exemplary as evidenced by the rebuke he received from the prophet Nathan, but the rebuke itself shows that David's actions were MUCH different than murder and/or adultery, and neither word is used in any connection with King David anywhere in Scripture, as far as I can tell.
The problem is, those deniers have used the debate to accuse G-d-Fearing Jews of hiding David's faults or white-washing his character.
That being used as an allegory, if one researches an accusation and determines from the available evidence that an accusation is false, ought the Noahide present the evidence that would indicate the accusation is false?
Or, should we drop the subject for fear that continuing the conversation allows the accusation to be repeated more times and for a longer period of time than if we refute it?

Messages In This Thread
Proper Speech - by Finch - 09-28-2010, 10:50 PM
RE: Proper Speech - by Director Michael - 10-03-2010, 02:57 PM
RE: Proper Speech - by Finch - 10-06-2010, 05:03 AM
RE: Proper Speech - by Director Michael - 10-07-2010, 02:47 PM
RE: Proper Speech - by Mattityahu ben Noach - 10-14-2010, 03:22 AM
RE: Proper Speech - by Director Michael - 10-17-2010, 11:35 PM
Loshon Hora - by jjny76 - 08-24-2011, 11:29 AM