Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Pets and feeding them
I have two cats and i bring home tinned cat food and dry food and fish and liver occasionally for them.I'm a vegetarian myself and have been for years and i have no idea how the animals lived and died whose meat goes into those tins.Now i presume there is a degree of suffering involved so what should be my policy when buying food for them.Am i a guilty accomplice in all this and i really do worry about it also i hear stories about how cows are kept whose milk i put in my tea and coffee.I threw out several pairs of good shoes recently when i learned that the lining is cat skin.I've noticed the manufacturers have in some cases removed the "Real Leather" markings from inside some shoes.I don't like to think about how the poor cats died.Also a lot of fine leather goods are cat skin but i'm not certain of it completely.I thank you in advance for adjudicating on this dilemma i'm sure others have this irritant in their souls too.
Thank you for bringing up these issues. You are not personally held responsible for how the pet food you purchase was produced.

If you do know or suspect that the meat products in the pet food came from animals that were treated unnecessarily cruelly, just personally boycotting the products is not a meaningful or effective answer. Getting the true facts and writing to the company, to the appropriate government agencies, your government representatives, and/or the new media would be actual steps in the right direction.

Are the cat-skin shoes manufactured in China, or some other oriental countries?

And which companies are not revealing that their shoes have leather? That's very good to be aware of! Especially for observant Jews, since on two of the Jewish fast days (Yom Kippur and Tishe B'Av), Jews are forbidden to wear leather shoes.
(06-22-2011, 12:50 AM)Director Michael Wrote: If you do know or suspect that the meat products in the pet food came from animals that were treated unnecessarily cruelly, just personally boycotting the products is not a meaningful or effective answer. Getting the true facts and writing to the company, to the appropriate government agencies, your government representatives, and/or the new media would be actual steps in the right direction.

Are the cat-skin shoes manufactured in China, or some other oriental countries?

patrick eirenn
I've picked up somewhere the cats are strangled in the far east, but my information needs verifying properly. Cows are kept for long periods in sheds. People may think what they see grazing in fields here are what goes on tables. Needs proper verifying too.
i know this is an old post but thought i would comment. it is true that cats and dogs are used as leather most of the time they are skinned alive or killed inhumanely by means of electrocution in a way that won't damage the skin. also about a week ago on the news they did a story about real animal skin and fur being used even when it said faux fur.
Governments have a moral responsibility to pass civil laws, with effect penalties applied by the courts, that prohibit the inflicting of unnecessary pain and suffering upon animals.