Ask Noah Q&A Forum

Full Version: "Found" money
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Shalom Dr. Schulman, Rabbi Dubovick and Rabbi Schochet-
Other people at work use my desk sometimes when I am not there and someone left some coins on my desk (it is primarily my desk), so do I have to ask around for the owner of the change or can I do something with the change? If I don't know who left the money, what am I ALLOWED to do with the change? Do I have to leave it there? Same question for money found in the street, and does it matter on the amount of money found?
Thank you so much, ProudNoachide
ProudNoachide Wrote:Shalom Dr. Schulman, Rabbi Dubovick and Rabbi Schochet-
Other people at work use my desk sometimes when I am not there and someone left some coins on my desk (it is primarily my desk), so do I have to ask around for the owner of the change or can I do something with the change? If I don't know who left the money, what am I ALLOWED to do with the change? Do I have to leave it there? Same question for money found in the street, and does it matter on the amount of money found?
Thank you so much, ProudNoachide

In regard to objects found, one must determine if the object was indeed "lost" or just left there knowingly and if the owner has given up hope on recovering the object or not.Another factor that must be considered is if you have an idea who the owner is.
The best thing to do is to ask around if anyone left money in your desk, since it was not dropped but put there it is not considered lost. If no one claims it then you may keep it because it is a sign that the owner forgot about it and gave up hope of recovering it.