Ask Noah Q&A Forum

Full Version: Taking on a Hebrew name?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Thanks for your question! The feminine form of Jacob, for a girl, would be Jacoba.

Or if you want it to be closer to the sound of the actual Hebrew name (Yakov or Yaakov for a male), it would be Yakova or Yaakova for a female.
Hello,
Yes, you all have Hebrew names.

Susan is written ???? and pronounced "shoshan" (sho-SHAN). It means "lily", or "rose" in Hebrew. Another form of this name is ?????, shoshana.
Jonathan is written ????? and pronounced "yonatan" (yo-na-TAN, or YO-na-tan in Modern Hebrew). It means "G-d has given" in Hebrew.
David is written ??? and pronounced "david" (da-VID). It means "beloved" in Hebrew.
Director Michael Wrote:Yes, a Noahide may do that if he/she wishes. Although a Noahide would normally retain his/her father's name, e.g. Iyov ben [son of] [his father's given names], unless there is a particular reason that the Noahide doesn't want to do so.

Suppose one's father wasn't particularly righteous, such that keeping his name alive be a reproach?
In Ezekiel 18 it says that if there is a son of a man who had sinned, and the son repents and removes himself from his father's sin, the sins of the son will not be remembered against him, and the chapter begins by assuring us that the sins of the father do not fall upon the son. Would it be better to put the past aside, and move forward (take a new name), or to keep mindful where one has come from to provide incentive not to return to that place?
The meaning of Ezekiel 18, and the meaning of "put the past aside, and move forward," is not that the person should take a new name. The meaning is that the person should repent and abandon his own past sinful ways that he learned from his parent(s). He should start leading a life of observing his commandments (the Noahide Code if one is a Gentile, and the Mosaic Code if one is a Jew), doing acts of goodness and kindness and following the path of righteousness in his everyday activities (in thought, speech and action).

But your legal name, as well as the name you normally go by, is a matter of your own choice.
On another forum I chose a name that I thought sounded Jewish/Hebrew. The name I chose was Pi-thu-el. I chose it because of a play on words. A supervisor I once had once told me I had a "proclivity to laxity," so I chose "p-to-l" as my name in this other forum, but I spelled it "Pi-Thu-El" (pronounced as "pee-tu-el"). Later, I was informed that "Pethuel" is a name found in the book of Joel. I have read the entire Tanakh, so I must have read that name before, but I didn't recall the name being there, and when I went to look up "Pithuel" I didn't find anything. (Note the 'i' instead of the 'e').
Is the fact that a name I chose for myself actually exists and is in the Bible coincidental?
I understand the name "Pethuel" means something like, "openminded to G-d". Can you confirm that, or tell me anything about the name or about the person in the Book of Joel that had that name?
Thanks.
With the transliteration rules used by Judaica Press, the first verse of the Book of Joel is given in English as "The word of the L-rd, which came to Joel son of Pethuel." The actual pronunciation of the Hebrew name at the end of the verse is P'soo'ayl ('oo' as in "moon").
Rashi's explanation: "to Joel son of Pethuel" - The son of Samuel the prophet who persuaded [pheetah]
G-d [l'ayl] with his prayer (?????? ????-?).
Certainly it was Divine Providence that you made up that name for the other forum. If you don't see anything providential about it now, maybe you will in the future.
Shalom, Greetings and thank you to everyone on this forum for your very enlightening information. I have just joined and was interested in finding out the exact Hebrew translation for my name 'Nicholas' I found one site which translated my name to 'Netzach' would this be correct? and how is it pronounced exactly.. Net-ZaH ? Thank you.
The name "Nicholas" comes from the Greek expression for "victorious people." The Hebrew word "Netzach" means "victory" or "eternity." It ends in the Hebrew letter "?" (chet). This letter is symbolized in English letters by "ch," but it does not have an equivalent sound in the English alphabet. The sound is a gutteral rasp from the back of the tongue on the back of the palate. The pronunciation is the same as the "ch" in German, as in "ich" or "achtung."
This is very interesting, i have never heard it.

excited_for_life

Does the name "Liam" have any meaning in Hebrew? I've read somewhere that it means "my people" or "my nation"
Is this true?
If so, I would think that's incredible, because for my son I am pregnant with, I wanted the name "Abram," which is "leader of nations or multitudes," but my husband preferred "Liam," which I eventually agreed on... The possible similarities in the meanings of the two diverse names makes me think of an article I read where a Rabbi was saying that parents get to play prophet for a short time when choosing a name for their son or daughter.
Pages: 1 2 3