Ask Noah Q&A Forum

Full Version: Eating live creatures (not mammals or birds)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Question about what is the halachic status for eating Non-birds or non-mammals alive ?
I was watching some video's of eating live octopus, crabs, fish & frogs (yes, an east Asian thing, not at my local British restaurant)

Do these fall under the Noahide law against live animal eating - from what I saw they seem to be permitted as they are neither bird or mammal.
The Noahide prohibition of eating "meat from a living creature," as a capital sin, applies only to land mammals and birds. But an offshoot of that commandment is that it is not permitted to inflict unnecessary pain or suffering ("tza'ar ba'alei chayim" in Hebrew) on any living creatures:
https://asknoah.org/7-commandments/forbidden-meat

Therefore eating those creatures that you mentioned alive does not violate the commandment against "eating meat from a living creature," but an upright person will not inflict unnecessary pain or suffering on a living creature.

All creatures are permitted as food for the Children of Noah (if they are not injurious to the person's health), and killing a creature for the sake of preparing it as food usually entails inflicting some pain and distress upon it. That is the permission given to human beings, to "rule over the animals." But people should not be cruel in applying this G'd-given privilege.

Therefore it is proper for a society to make civil laws that forbid and punish the infliction of cruelty upon living creatures.
Sh-lom dear AskNoah Team!
Sh-lom Director Michael!

Is lizard's tail that was lost or torn allowed for eating?
(12-19-2021, 07:30 PM)OlKorekt Wrote: [ -> ]Sh-lom dear AskNoah Team!
Sh-lom Director Michael!

Is lizard's tail that was lost or torn allowed for eating?

That is allowed for Gentiles / Noahides, since their prohibition of eating meat that was removed from a living animal only applies to land mammals and birds.
This is explained in The Divine Code, Part 4, topics 1:6-8

But it's forbidden for a person to deliberately tear / pull the tail off of a lizard, because of the offshoot prohibition of causing unnecessary suffering to a living creature.