Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Slaughtering (including Kosher or Halal)
Hello,
I am wondering if eating halal meat is an option for a noahide. The reason I ask is that from where I am living it is much easier to get than kosher slaughtered food. I would buy kosher meat as my first port of call, as it causes the least suffering, but then read on an internet site that halal also causes minimum suffering and is ok for noahides, however, I would like to have the official line! I was thinking that for a noahide who wants to protect and respect the life of living things, It would not be seen as idolatory but rather a demonstration of one upholding the seven laws in the eyes of all people. It would be good to hear what you think.
Thanks, Shanti.
Please see the earlier posts #2, 7, and 8 in this thread. It is no problem for Noahides to eat meat from animals slaughtered by the Islamic ritual method (called "Halal"), as long as the meat is not removed before the animal's heart stops beating and the limbs stop convulsing.
What about the use of bolt pistols before the throat is cut?

In my country they shoot the animal in the head a couple of seconds before they cut the throat. Then the animal is deblooded for 20 minutes untill there is no sign of convulsions. Then it is not butchered.

So the biggest differense between kosher/halall and the ordinary slaughter, in my country, is the shot in the head with a bolt pistol before the throat is cut.

Does the shot in the head with a bolt pistol violate noahide law?
Can I eat meat from animals that were shot in the head right before their throat were cut?

Noahides may eat meat from animals that were killed with the use of bolt pistols, or any other means. The requirement is that for mammals and birds, meat for human consumption should not be removed until after the heart has permanently stopped beating.
Shechita (Hebrew Sachat "slaughter") is the ritual slaughter of kosher animals, especially in Judaism and Islam.
The animals are killed with a special knife with a single large incision across the throat, severing the large blood vessels and the trachea and esophagus. With this the freely bleeding-out of the animal can be guaranteed.
The consumption of blood, both in Judaism and in Islam is forbidden.
The Jewish Shechita must be without prior stunning of the animal in order for the meat to be kosher for Jewish consumption.

That is a basic overview, but of course for kosher slaughter, there are many more details and requirements. The Jew who performs the slaughter (called a shochet) must go through special learning, training and certification.
That's right, I agree with you
What I want to saying: For me, only halal meat is in demand for consumption. But since I live in an area where there unfortunately is no Jewish ritual Shohet, I must eating Muslim Halal meat.
This is ok?...
Yes, that is permitted.
(09-06-2008, 08:13 AM)Director Michael Wrote:
NiklasTyreso Wrote:3)The dead body should be allowed to stop having convulsions before cutting the body up as the movements indicate that the parts of the body still have life giving oxygen (that the blood provided just minutes ago).

That is the correct procedure, but the reason is because if the animal is still convulsing, it looks like it is still alive. If people would start butchering animals while they appear to be alive, the result would be that they would start butchering animals a moment earlier, when they haven't died yet. (If a Jew does kosher-slaughter on a kosher animal, the waiting period until the end of the convulsions is not technically required, but it is highly recommended.)

NiklasTyreso Wrote:How important is point three, that the body should have no convulsions?

It is an actual prohibition if the convulsions haven't stopped, but there is no liability to earthly punishment if that is transgressed. The prohibition against severing and eating the meat while the animal is still alive is much more severe.
I understand that meat which is cut from cattle after the heart has stopped beating can twitch even long after. Does the term "convulsion" include any little visible twitch? Or does it rather refer to big walking movements? Thanks a lot for your help! I have the chance to ask some local butchers, but since the definitions of someone unfamiliar with the Noahide Code might vary from my understanding, I want to be as thorough as possible when I ask them.

Please see "The Divine Code", Part 4, ch. 3. It is forbidden for a Gentile to eat any meat that was severed from the body of the animal while it is still moving in the throes of death. On the other hand, the little twitches that continue long after the animal is dead are of no concern in regard to the Noahide prohibition.

There is a leniency if it is a kosher animal, subjected to kosher slaughter, for the purpose of Jewish consumption. In that case, a Gentile is not prohibited to eat meat that was severed from the animal any time after it was kosher-slaughtered.