Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Jewish Civil Law
BS"D

Is the entire Choshen Mishpat (jewish civil law) area of halacha applicable to non-Jews?

Thank you.
Yes and no. The topics, situations and moral principles of Torah-based Jewish civil (i.e. business) law (not to be confused with secular business law!) are applicable to non-Jews, as guidelines and lessons that are important to learn. However, many of the details of the Jewish laws (judicial procedures of the Beis Din court, resolving lawsuits, imposed fines and penalties, etc.), are different from the Noahide Code.

It is allowed for a Gentile society to choose to set up their business laws as a parallel to the Torah-based Jewish business laws in most areas, if the population agrees.
Some of those books are appropriate for Gentiles. See for example, in our list of recommended books at
https://asknoah.org/books

The Jewish Ethicist: Everyday Ethics for Business and Life, by Rabbi Dr. Asher Meir, pub. Ktav.

https://asknoah.org/books/the-jewish-eth...s-and-life
Hello,

I have a sibling who is taking some conversion classes and my mom who is also a Noahide like me is concerned about the legal implications of what my sibling is doing. For example, my mom read that if a convert passes away, all the properly of that person will go to the Jewish community. This is concerning to me because even though my sister is single, she still has parents who are Noahides. In my culture, it is reasonable to expect kids to provide for their parents if the kids pass before the parents.
How should this be viewed and handled by my family? I know that my sibling still has to honor her parents regardless of whether she goes through the conversion or not.

Thank you,

Carmina
The laws of the secular ruling courts and government that have jurisdication over the inheritance will apply, and in practical application those secular laws will overule the Jewish law.

If your sister marries and/or has children, her husband and children will anyway have precidence for the inheritance unless she stipulates something else in a legal will that she files with the secular court system.

If your sister files her own will that is legally binding in the secular ruling courts, whatever she herself stipulates will be applied to her inheritance.