Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Noahide Torah Study
(01-03-2014, 09:12 AM)RhondaCoad Wrote: I am new to Noahide and trying to learn what parts of the Torah I am suppose to study. Please show me the way.

Welcome to the Noahide path, and welcome to Ask Noah! Torah is such a diverse and multifaceted system of knowledge that this can be very daunting at first. That is why it is so important for you to have proper guidance as you get started. By studying all the questions and answers in this forum thread on "Torah Study for Noahides", you will get a good introduction. The formal explanation of the rules and guidelines for Torah study by Noahides are the subject of Part I, Chapter 5, in our book "The Divine Code" by Rabbi Moshe Weiner of Jerusalem. But naturally as a beginner, you will have a lot of questions as to what all of this means. That is what we are hear to help you with.

(01-03-2014, 09:12 AM)RhondaCoad Wrote: Should I get a Chumash (Five Books of Moses from the Hebrew Bible)?

Yes, and it needs to be an authentic Chumash published by an Orthodox Jewish publishing company, with high-quality English translation, and preferably with some classical straightforward explanations on the Torah text. This could be a book that is just the Chumash (the first 5 Books of the Hebrew Bible), or it could be a Tanach (all 24 Books of the Hebrew Bible). Our recommendation is for the "Stone Edition" Tanach (full Hebrew Bible) from Artscroll publishers, as featured in the "Recommended Books" section of this web site:

https://asknoah.org/books/artscroll-hebr...e-complete

(01-03-2014, 09:12 AM)RhondaCoad Wrote: I have been trying to study the 7 Noahide Laws. Give me direction. I feel like a bumble bee! Sad

We have an on-line booklet titled "Go(o)d for You: the Divine Code of 7 Noahide Commandments", which gives a very readable introduction to the concepts and precepts of the Noahide Code:

https://asknoah.org/books/good-for-you-noahide-code

For full in-depth explanation and analysis, you have the book "The Divine Code", which is the first and foremost codification of the concepts and precepts of the Noahide Code:

https://asknoah.org/books/the-divine-code

You should also go through this entire Q&A Forum to see answers to very many questions on fundamental concepts and practical applications.

(01-03-2014, 09:12 AM)RhondaCoad Wrote: I am also trying to learn how to get around Ask Noah. I think I  went about writing a message wrong. Maybe this is the way to go.

This Forum is fully moderated, so the submitted questions will be posted visibly after they have been approved by the moderator. Some of the threads are blocked from posting, because of problems with floods of spam posts. To find out which threads are open for posting, please send me a private forum message, or an email or web-form message from our Contact Us page.

(01-03-2014, 09:12 AM)RhondaCoad Wrote: I have been reading The Divine Code. I have been trying to study the 7 commandments on another website, but I wonder if there is more to them that I should know about.

Yes! You need to know if you are studying reliable and correct information that's posted on-line, since there is no way to stop people from posting wrong or off-track information. Once you have learned and understood "The Divine Code" very will, you will have a good foundation for judging the reliability of information you encounter on-line.

(01-03-2014, 09:12 AM)RhondaCoad Wrote: I need direction, a Rabbi. I don't want to sin by studying the wrong thing. Please help.

That is what we are here for! :-)

(01-03-2014, 09:12 AM)RhondaCoad Wrote: Been reading from a website called Hasidic University

Take caution, because the Noahide Commandments and the Jewish Commandments are really two separate systems of Divine precepts. The correct and practical application of the Noahide precepts, based on their source in the Oral Torah, can't be cobbled together from picking and choosing from the Jewish Commandments, as this and some other web sites and books incorrectly try to do.

(01-03-2014, 09:12 AM)RhondaCoad Wrote: and some books: Every Man's Talmud,

This has a lot of excerpts from the Talmud that are interesting, but largely not relevant for Noahides. Unfortunately, it is written from a Non-Torah, and even somewhat Anti-Torah (known as "Biblical Criticism") point of view. Therefore, we don't recommend it.

(01-03-2014, 09:12 AM)RhondaCoad Wrote: and some Kabbalah book, Torah. But since, and recently, I found out that there is some restriction on reading the Torah, so I had to change gears and ask for forgiveness. Please help. I really need direction. Sad
Rhonda

Without specific titles, it's not possible to know if those books you're reading are reliable or appropriate for Noahides. The modern "pop-kabbalah" books are misleading and should be avoided. A Noahide should only study parts of Kabbalah, or Talmud, that are relevant to the Noahide Code, and if such study is undertaken, it needs to be done with the tutelage and guidance of an expert Orthodox Jewish teacher / mentor who has a good understanding of what is allowed and appropriate for Noahide's to study within those sources. Since the days of the Baal Shem Tov, it is better to study relevant Chassidic teachings instead of kabbalah, since "Chassidus" puts the lofty spiritual concepts into a logically understandable framework. Please see our web section of recommended books:

https://asknoah.org/books

Our book "The Divine Code" gives more information on categories of Torah learning and specific classical texts that are permitted for Noahides to learn.

Messages In This Thread
Noahide Torah Study - by scott allen - 08-22-2007, 03:56 AM
RE: Noahide Torah Study - by Director Michael - 01-17-2016, 12:28 PM
RE: Noahide Torah Study - by ASubmitter - 06-05-2016, 05:52 AM
RE: Noahide Torah Study - by Director Michael - 07-11-2016, 04:35 PM
RE: Noahide Torah Study - by TomBenNoah - 07-17-2018, 02:55 PM
RE: Noahide Torah Study - by Director Michael - 07-17-2018, 10:44 PM
Oral Torah - by saidjake - 09-28-2007, 03:55 PM