• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vows and Oaths
Quote:Can vows be annulled over the Internet? These are the vows I made:
Not to
- Eat candy and potato chip type snacks
- drink soda
- drink alcohol
all 'until the redemption'.

These were all made three maybe four years ago. I am observing all of them, and I want them all nullified if I can.
My reason for wanting these nullified is that I did not think about how they would get awkward and a let-down for others in social situations, when they offer me those items. They are very commonly offered, and I'm always denying that part of people's hospitality.

I wrote to Rabbi Moshe Weiner about your request. Here is what he wrote back:

------------------------------
He should go to three good friends of his [who can be adult Gentiles], who are sincere people, and explain to them in person [with all of them together at the same time] the vow he made, and why he has decided to request this nullification. He should say:
"My reason for wanting these three things nullified is that I did not think about how they would get awkward and be a let-down for others in social situations, when they offer me those items. They are very commonly offered, and I'm always denying that part of people's hospitality."
Then the three good friends shall ask him:
"If you would have known this factor at the time when the vow was made, would you have vowed this?"
Then he should confirm this to them, saying:
"If I had known this factor at the time I made this vow, I wouldn't have made that vow, and I now regret that I made the vow."
Then his three good friends should say to him:
"Your vow is annulled."

Messages In This Thread
Vows and Oaths - by bdschuh - 05-15-2008, 02:52 AM
RE: Vows and Oaths - by Director Michael - 07-29-2009, 02:59 PM
RE: Vows and Oaths - by Director Michael - 02-17-2010, 02:10 AM
How a Gentile can annul a vow that he regrets - by Director Michael - 02-01-2012, 01:41 AM
RE: Vows and Oaths - by Director Michael - 08-29-2015, 09:08 AM
RE: Vows - by Director Michael - 05-20-2008, 09:44 PM
RE: Vows - by rabbiyitz - 05-21-2008, 05:08 AM
Making an Oath - by Finch - 02-16-2010, 02:29 AM
RE: Vows and Oaths - by Director Michael - 08-27-2015, 01:45 PM