Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Importance of laws of the land
Hi Asknoah,

I personally disagree with the notion that the rabbinical statement "the law of the kingdom is law" is part of the Seven Commandments. I know that in your book, the Divine Code, there is a difference between the core Seven Commandments and what is called "the Noahide Code" which seems to refer to a larger collection of laws meant to make a Gentile pious. Regardless of which body of law you refer to, I strongly disagree with its inclusion in a law imposed on Gentiles, strongly enough to share my views on my own site. As I don't have your credentials and heritage in any way, it can only be presented as my personal opinion.

But before I set out such an endeavour, I just want to ask a few questions.

1) What is the precise definition of "Dina d'melchuta Dina" or "the law of the kingdom is law"?

2) For a Jew, was it halakhah or divine law? Or was it a conclusion reached by a rabbi about the power of the state?

3) Please state the evidence for claiming that it is part of the Seven Commandments or the Noahide Code. If it can be summarised, then please include it. I would like to understand it as much as I can before I share my opinion. I understand that it is binding for a Jew. I would really like to see what you use to claim that it applies to Gentiles as part of our Seven Commandments.

Thanks for your time. Just to let you know, it is just one point disagreement. There is still so much that I have learnt from your book and Dr Schulman (Reb Schulman). I am not seeking to disassociate myself from your organisation. I hope you can appreciate that.

Much respect

Messages In This Thread
RE: Importance of laws of the land - by amenyahu - 03-18-2014, 09:47 AM
RE: Importance of laws of the land - by amenyahu - 03-25-2014, 06:33 PM
RE: Importance of laws of the land - by amenyahu - 04-14-2014, 06:52 PM