Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Man-made religions / events with family & friends
Joachim ben Noach Wrote:Said Rabbi Yitz:
"Certainly one should avoid the idolatrous aspects such as mistletoe, the yule log, the tree etc. which all are throw-backs to the winter solstice pagan celebrations."

(This i am sure is laid out in detail in the Noahide Commandments book.)

Yes, it is laid out in detail in the book "The Divine Code." Volume I, by Rabbi Moshe Weiner:
https://asknoah.org/books/the-divine-code

Joachim ben Noach Wrote:May i:
- Admire the 'pretty tree'
- Decorate the tree
- Help put up the decorations, or manipulate the decorations (turning on the colored lights, straigtening up something which is fallen etc.)

From "The Divine Code," p. 216:

"In private houses or businesses, it appears that they are not forbidden for benefit if they bear no symbols of the religion, if they are used only as a custom and not as an aid in worshiping with prayers or songs. They would certainly be permitted for benefit after being discarded (a clear act of nulification.)"

Joachim ben Noach Wrote:- Accept gifts handed out from beneath the tree

From "The Divine Code," p. 236:

"If one is afraid that others may be angry at him for not participating, or he is afraid of reprisals, it is permitted for him to attend and appear as if he is participating, for he is only flattering ...
it is permitted to participate in this if it is considered by both parties (the giver and receiver) as only a custom ... But it would be better from the outset not to give gifts on that day."

Messages In This Thread
Handling your family's holidays - by rabbiyitz - 11-07-2007, 05:40 AM
seasonal gifts - by sodergard - 12-29-2008, 02:45 AM
RE: seasonal gifts - by Director Michael - 12-29-2008, 12:51 PM
new year - by sodergard - 01-02-2009, 05:28 AM
RE: new year - by Director Michael - 01-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Attending Family Events of Relatives - by carmina - 07-22-2010, 05:53 AM
Christmas Tree - by brandynpublic - 12-05-2011, 01:04 PM