Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Computer Software and Restricted Music Files
BS"D

Shalom,

I've recently been doing lots of computer repair. Many times people ask me to install software and/or hardware that will allow them to copy music, movies, etc. Generally, most of the music and movies are copyrighted. The exception being personal home videos, etc. Although I can't say for certain, I'm guessing that they're not asking permission from the recording studios to make mutliple copies to use in their other electronic devices or to give to family & friends.

Am I transgressing the prohibition of theft by assisting them? Most of the time they clearly state their intentions to do this. I do inform them that this is act of theft. My thought was that they are using their free will to transgress, but if I had a gun and someone asked me for it to go kill someone, I surely would not give it to them.

Also what should one do with something one has received from someone else that is suspected of being stolen? For example;

Person A: "Do you have a pen?"
Person B: "Here take this one, I took it from my office. Don't worry, I can get more. People take them all the time."

Thanks,
Donny

Messages In This Thread
Computer Software and Restricted Music Files - by Donny - 08-12-2007, 11:33 PM
Reading Software License Agreements - by Joachim ben Noach - 04-29-2011, 02:34 AM
RE: Would this be theft? - by rabbiyitz - 08-14-2007, 05:17 AM
Music - by Johnzo - 04-08-2010, 03:58 AM