Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intermarriage and ramifications
This is specified within Deuteronomy 7:3-4, which includes the commandment against intermarriage. To understand this, note that in the Torah, a person's grandson is sometimes referred to as his "son."

v3. You [the Jews] shall not intermarry with them; you [a Jew] shall not give your [Jewish] daughter to his [Gentile] son, and you [a Jew] shall not take his [Gentile] daughter for your [Jewish] son.

v4. For he [the Gentile man who marries your Jewish daughter] will turn away your son [i.e. your Jewish grandson, who is the son of your Jewish daughter from her intermarriage] from following Me, and they [the Gentile son-in-law and your Jewish grandson] will worship the gods of others, and the wrath of the L-rd will be kindled...

Rashi explains the simple meaning: "For he will turn away your son from following Me": i.e., the Gentile man's son, if he marries your [Jewish] daughter, will turn away your [Jewish grand]son whom your [Jewish] daughter will bear to him, from following Me. This teaches us that your [Jewish] daughter’s son, born of a Gentile man, is called “your son,” [i.e., a Jew], but your [Jewish] son’s son, born of a Gentile woman, is not called “your son” [a Jew], but [rather] “her son” [a Gentile]. For Scripture, referring to “do not take his [Gentile] daughter,” does not say “For she will turn away your [grand]son…” {because this Gentile woman's son is considered her [Gentile] son, not your [Jewish grand]son.}

Rashi quotes this explanation from the Talmud, Tractate Kiddushin.

This is also explicitly stated in Malachi 2:11-12.

Messages In This Thread
Intermarriage and ramifications - by Joachim ben Noach - 10-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Marriage - by Teodor - 01-20-2009, 08:57 AM
RE: Marriage - by rabbiyitz - 01-22-2009, 06:04 PM
Intermarriage - by Director Michael - 09-29-2009, 01:03 PM
RE: Who is a Jew? - by Daniel2 - 12-03-2009, 12:32 PM
RE: Who is a Jew? - by Director Michael - 12-03-2009, 05:22 PM
RE: Who is a Jew? - by Mattityahu ben Noach - 04-25-2010, 12:34 PM