Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Living with relatives who follow man-made religions
(12-03-2012, 05:02 PM)Director Michael Wrote: Please note that for the previous questions in this sub-forum that asked about this, and the answers explained that some leniency is permitted, those were all talking about the case in which the customs and celebrations would be going on in another person's house that would be visited temporarily.
I'm sorry I read the previous posts but wasn't entirely sure if it would make any difference since as you said it's my home rather then just visiting. So thank you.

(12-03-2012, 05:02 PM)Director Michael Wrote: If it is going to be decided to have a tree in the home to avoid hurt feelings, there should be a request/proposal that it would be observed only as a cultural tradition, and not as a religious symbol. But the decorations of angels, or a prominent star, are specifically items with direct religious symbolism in this context, and as such they should be avoided if possible.
Although the idea of tree decorations in general goes back to ancient pagan religions, an argument can be made that non-religious decorations have become a cultural tradition with no particular religious significance.

Thank you for this we've decided it will be a cultural celebration then religious.
Also I noticed that name that's included in the name of the holiday. Should I try to refrain from saying any word with that name in it?

(12-03-2012, 05:02 PM)Director Michael Wrote: It would be a disservice to the children, because in several ways, it denies them good opportunities for learning to respect their parents, which is critical as a universal moral and logical obligation:
a) Children can learn to respect the fact that their parents are telling them the truth (e.g. that the presents actually come from the parents, grandparents, etc.)
b) If the presents are being given as a reward for good behavior, the children should know that their behavior is being judged specifically by the parents, and they are answerable to the parents, according to the standards that the parents set.
c) Children should learn to do the good deed of expressing thanks and appreciation to the actual person who does something nice for them.

Thank you for your insight in this it helped me understand and see that I need to tell them the truth.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Man-made religions / events with family & friends - by Kat450 - 12-12-2012, 09:45 AM