Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Living with relatives who follow man-made religions
B"H

Shalom,

So I'm in a bit of a conundrum. I recently moved in with my grandmother to help take care of her; however she is an avid catholic. All throughout the house she has idolatrous images. In my room and the room in which I pray all of these have been removed. So my questions/issues are as follows:

1. How do I deal with the fact that these images are pretty much all around me?
2. In an effort or honor her, I don't want to removed them except as noted above (my room and the room in which I pray). Am I correct in this thinking?
3. I remember, not in the same manner as the Jews, Shabbat (the seventh day - as a ger toshav which according to Rambam is appropriate for me) by lighting candles, praying (what I guess would be universal prayers - nothing inappropriate that doesn't apply to me as a Noahide) and I pray the Havdalah prayer (again, amended to be appropriate for me as a Noahide). The issue is, these idolatrous images are also in the dining room where I say these prayers. So, in an effort to avoid idolatry, I hide and cover these images. Is this enough?

Am I on the right path? Is there anything else I should be doing? According to "The Path of the Righteous Gentile, I shouldn't even be in a house of idol worship. Is this house thus considered?

On another note, my cousin subscribes to a few pagan believes (against which I'm trying to persuade him). Is it incorrect for me to even enter his house? Would I be dishonoring him if I did not enter, or worse dishonor G-d by entering?

Thank you in advance for your help in these matters.

Messages In This Thread
Living in a home with idolatrous images - by jjny76 - 09-27-2016, 10:46 AM