Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Books/music of non-Torah religions
Is it proper for Noahides to read the "New Testament"?
And what if it's in a movie/play/etc., are we allowed to watch/listen to it?
This question does not apply only to the "New Testament." There is no eternal spiritual or moral truth that was not already included by G-d within the Written Torah, i.e. the 24 Books of the Hebrew Scriptures:.html]

Re. the 5 Books of Moses, see https://asknoah.org/written_torah

and re. the Oral Torah, see see https://asknoah.org/oral_torah

which together include G-d's communication of the 613 Jewish Commandments, the 7 Noahide Commandments, the basic principles of Torah faith, and the promise of the coming of the true Messiah from the House of David, may this happen speedily in our days. Other man-made systems arose which picked and chose which parts of the Written and Oral Torah they desired to use, which parts they desired to alter, which parts they desired to mistranslate, and which parts they desired to reject or declare null and void, G-d forbid. Thus any person who has established a faithful relationship to the Torah and the One True G-d, the Giver of the Torah, does a disservice to his spiritual standing if he delves into sources which deny any of those basic principles. (This is especially the case for Jews and Chasidei Umos Ha'Olom).

Dramatizations by actors present the additional issue of playing more to the emotions than to the intellect, and some people are very susceptible to this mode of influence. In a dramatization, the "red flag" issues are usually glossed over, or omitted altogether.
Are Noahides allowed to listen to liturgical compositions in the tradition of European classical music? I always prefer the settings of the Tehillim (Psalms), so as to avoid any idolatrous references. However, there are many compositions of considerable aesthetic beauty which do, unfortunately, incorporate idolatrous lyrics. In such cases, I pay no attention to the lyrics and my motive for listening is purely aesthetic. Nevertheless, I would like to know if I am somehow transgressing the prohibiton of idolatry?
From "The Divine Code," Volume 1, by Rabbi Moshe Weiner, p. 144-145:

One is forbidden to listen to music of idol worship services, and it is forbidden to smell the aroma of idols or their incenses, or to gaze on the decorations and splendor of the idol or its ornaments, because a person benefits from all these things, and it is forbidden to benefit from idol worship, or to turn to it. If a person encounters things of this nature, he is not required to leave his path in order to avoid them, as long as he does not intend to benefit from these things or to gaze intently at them.

The reason for these prohibitions is to guard against the danger of looking favorably toward any idols, so one will not be drawn toward their service, or to believe in them or the legends of their actions.

Nevertheless, one who wishes to look at an idol or a house of idol worship for purposes of business, or learning a craft, or to hear their songs for such purposes, is not forbidden to do so.

[However, this is forbidden for a Jew, because of the prohibition "Do not turn to the idols" (Leviticus 19:4). The basic reason for all the mentioned prohibitions for Gentiles is precaution, lest one be drawn after an idol. But when there are practical reasons it is permitted. This constitutes the basic difference between this command to Jews and to Gentiles. The Jewish prohibition, even though logically based, is obligatory in any case. But the Gentile is prohibited from a totally rational basis, so therefore in specific instances when there are other logically overriding considerations, the prohibition is lifted.]
1. In the "Divine Code" I learned that one shouldn't say prayers written for idolatrous liturgies as prayers to God. My question concerns prayers written by Xtians to "God the Father" whom they describe as "Creator" and the like, which do not reference idolatry, but seem themselves to be prayers to the creator, even though we know the writers likely had idolatrous beliefs. Some examples include "The Our Father" prayer, as well as hymns such as "I have a Maker" and "God, That Madest Earth and Heaven" and the like. Might these be permissible?
2. If such songs or prayers contain ONLY heretical or foolish statements, but not specifically idolatrous phrases, may we simply edit out the heretical statements, and use the songs or prayers?
3. Certain historical sects of this religion, and a few today, held/have hold belief in a perfectly unified Creator, and reject trinitarian notions, and do not worship-you know who-. Even if the answer to questions one and two is in the negative, may we use prayers and the like from these sects?
Thank you for your time!
Answer to questions 1 and 2:
That ruling cited in "The Divine Code" applies to all prayers written for idolatrous liturgies, even the prayers that do not reference their idol by name, and even if they seem to be directed only to G-d. This was also the ruling from Rav Moshe Feinstien o.b.m., who was the main Torah Law authority in the previous generation, as referenced there in "The Divine Code." Rav Feinstein used highly negative words about the idea of using such prayers from those liturgies.

3. A Gentile who fully believes in the Unity of the One G-d, the G-d of Israel, and has abandoned the man-made (non-Torah) religions, can express his own heartfelt prayers to G-d. And one can use any appropriate verses from the Hebrew Bible (in correct translation) in his prayers, especially verses or entire chapters from the Book of Psalms. Likewise, he can use excerpts from the Orthodox Jewish liturgy that speak universally and make logical sense for a Gentile to include in his prayers.

We have published a very popular e-booklet of recommended daily prayers and blessings for Noahides: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FFD2GR6
If you are interested in hard-copies, please contact us with your email address and location: https://asknoah.org/contactus