Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Names of G-d in idolatrous texts
Daniel2 Wrote:I recently discovered a fictional novel in my possession that has  idolatrous heresy and even has a reference to an idolatrous website. Would just disposing the book be good enough, or would it be obligatory to destroy the book first in some way to make it unfit to read and then dispose it?...

Throwing away the book in a sealed garbage bag along with other garbage would be sufficient, since it's very unlikely that anyone would retrieve it and read it.

Daniel2 Wrote:Basically, I guess the question could also apply to an idol or forbidden image or other accessories to idol worship. If one gains possession of it and just wants to get rid of it if, would it be obligatory to nullify or destroy it first, if it isn't already, and then dispose it, or would it be OK to dispose it in its complete form without nullifying it or destroying it?

It's permitted for a Gentile to dispose of such objects in a similar manner as described above. If a Gentile wants to keep an idol or a decoration of an idol for some other use, it first has to be "nullified" (by a Gentile).

For more Q & A posts on this subject, see our forum thread titled "destroy idols and their accessories?" at
https://asknoah.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=182

Daniel2 Wrote:Also, if a book like the one I found contains any other information related to Judaism and the Torah, regardless of what it is, it is still OK to destroy it, as long as it doesn't have any of the names of G-d written in Hebrew letters, is this correct? What if it has any of the names of G-d in Hebrew,
transliterated in English or any other language,
for example, E-lokim spelled correctly or YK + VK written the right way or any other incorrectly transliterated versions of the Tetragrammaton?

From "The Divine Code," Volume 1, p. 274:

"It is forbidden to destroy holy Names ... as this is a disgrace to G-d’s honor and profanes His Name. ... It is even forbidden to erase (for no justified need) or disgrace one of the seven holy Names ... when they are translated in other languages [not Hebrew].

Holy names [of G-d] in languages other than Hebrew may be erased; this applies if a justified need arises to do so, but just to disgrace them is forbidden."

So if a question arises about the occurrence of a transliterated holy Name of G-d in such a book, you can always cut it out and put it aside, before you dispose of the book.

Messages In This Thread
idolatrous books - by Teodor - 05-28-2009, 08:46 AM
RE: idolatrous books - by Director Michael - 05-31-2009, 03:40 PM
Names of G-d in idolatrous texts - by Daniel2 - 08-13-2009, 12:17 PM
RE: Names of G-d in idolatrous texts - by Daniel2 - 01-29-2010, 11:29 AM
RE: Names of G-d in idolatrous texts - by Director Michael - 01-31-2010, 09:05 PM
RE: Names of G-d in idolatrous texts - by Daniel2 - 02-02-2010, 07:54 AM