Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proper Speech
Is it acceptable for a Noahide to read this book by the Chofetz Chaim on avoiding Loshon hora:

"A Lesson A Day": https://www.artscroll.com/Books/9780899063218.html

I thought I had seen a link to this on this site, but now I don't see it any longer. I purchased a copy, and it seems directed for a Jewish audience, but appears to be a good book for Noahides as well.

thanks,

JJ
Yes, this subject applies for Gentiles as well as Jews, and the book you referenced - based on "The Chofetz Chayim" -- is acceptable for observant Noahides.

For a more concise overview of these guidelines, as they apply for Gentiles, see "The Divine Code," Vol. I, 2nd Edition, Part V, Chapter 8:
https://asknoah.org/books/the-divine-code
I have a question in regards to proper speech. From reading this book, it teaches that it is a very serious offense to speak or even listen to negative comments about others except in very limited circumstances. That being the case is it acceptable to listen to talk radio that involves political commentary. I listen to Dennis Prager quite a bit, and also read some political websites like politico, townhall.com, etc. Many times this political commentary can go negative. Is it ok to listen to or read information that reflects negatively upon certain politicians or political parties?
The practical answer is that if the information is being put out into the public domain, to a very wide audience, and it is about people who have set themselves up as public political figures for public examination and critique, then it is not forbidden to read or listen to the political commentary. Unless the source is spreading outright lies about a person.

To be sure, I sent this answer to Rabbi Moshe Weiner in Jerusalem, and he agrees.
This was a good question, and I appreciate "Finch" for asking it. It is especially important a question in the United States right now with an important mid-term election gearing up. This is historically the time in an election when all sorts of accusations are thrown around.
Should a Noahide try to refute accusations they think are false?
As an example, in another forum, some deniers of the Torah tradition claimed that King David committed murder and adultery. I have examined the issue as well as I can, and from what I have read, it seems the accusation is false. There is no doubt David's actions were less than exemplary as evidenced by the rebuke he received from the prophet Nathan, but the rebuke itself shows that David's actions were MUCH different than murder and/or adultery, and neither word is used in any connection with King David anywhere in Scripture, as far as I can tell.
The problem is, those deniers have used the debate to accuse G-d-Fearing Jews of hiding David's faults or white-washing his character.
That being used as an allegory, if one researches an accusation and determines from the available evidence that an accusation is false, ought the Noahide present the evidence that would indicate the accusation is false?
Or, should we drop the subject for fear that continuing the conversation allows the accusation to be repeated more times and for a longer period of time than if we refute it?
Mattityahu ben Noach Wrote:Should a Noahide try to refute accusations they think are false?
That would be a matter of personal choice. And if someone is going to go to the extent of refuting accusations, he should first do the research to be able to know and prove that they are false.
Mattityahu ben Noach Wrote:As an example, in another forum, some deniers of the Torah tradition claimed that King David committed murder and adultery. I have examined the issue as well as I can, and from what I have read, it seems the accusation is false. There is no doubt David's actions were less than exemplary as evidenced by the rebuke he received from the prophet Nathan, but the rebuke itself shows that David's actions were MUCH different than murder and/or adultery, and neither word is used in any connection with King David anywhere in Scripture, as far as I can tell.
The problem is, those deniers have used the debate to accuse G-d-Fearing Jews of hiding David's faults or white-washing his character.
That is simply the result of their unlearned misunderstanding and denial of the true facts.
Mattityahu ben Noach Wrote:That being used as an allegory, if one researches an accusation and determines from the available evidence that an accusation is false, ought the Noahide present the evidence that would indicate the accusation is false?
Or, should we drop the subject for fear that continuing the conversation allows the accusation to be repeated more times and for a longer period of time than if we refute it?
Ever since the time of King David himself, those accusations against him have been hurled by deniers of his righteousness and his Divine appointment as the progenitor of the Messiah's royal patrilineal dynasty. When the subject comes up, you can try to explain to receptive individuals the actual fact that David did not transgress any of the commandments (since Uriah was a rebel against the king's authority, and Batsheva had already been given a conditional divorce). But the false liable against King David will probably continue to circulate until his descendant the Messiah comes, speedily in our days.

This is a far cry from the political mud-slinging, propaganda, cover-ups and lies that we have to endure in our day and age, as part of the price we have to pay for the blessing of living in a society that's based on democracy (more or less). Getting involved in debates about particular politicians is a matter of personal choice.
Hello,

Is it proper for a non-Jew to read and follow Chofetz Chaim on the rules of proper speech and avoiding loshon hora?

Thank you!
Yes, it is. Please see Post #2 above.