Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How a Noahide woman should dress
Hi! Is it okay for a woman wearing pants? It does not feel okay, it feels like showing too much, but my family wants me to wear pants. What shall i do?
For a Gentile woman, it's OK to wear pants (if that's an accepted local custom) if they at least cover the knees (even when she is sitting down), and they are not immodest. For example, they should not be tight-fitting or otherwise enticing. It is especially pious for a woman to wear a dress that's modest above and below.
I wonder, do a noahide woman have to wear tights/stockings underneath her skirt?
No, that is not required, if the skirt covers the knees when she is sitting down.
joshua Wrote:Greetings Doctor, my question is that in the divine code it tells us what is nakedness and immodest standards of a woman. The knees, collarbone, and elbows. But what about a man? Does these apply also to men? And if not what does? Thank you and G-d bless you.

It is not immodest for a man to wear short sleeves, e.g. a T-shirt. We know this because when a Jewish man puts on tefillin, his arm is uncovered to a little above the middle of the bicep.

It is not immodest for a man to wear pants that go down to just above his knees. We know this from the clothing of a regular Jewish priest [kohen] when serving in the Holy Temple. One of their garments was their pants, which reached from the waist to just above the knees. These pants are not mentioned in the list of priestly garments that are described as being worn for "honor and glory," because their stated purpose is for "common decency."

Although for the rest of the year the regular Jewish priests usually also wore a tunic that reached from their shoulders to their feet for more modesty, on the Eve of Passover they wore a just shorter-length shirt and their pants, because of all the blood on the Temple floor from the sacrificial Passover lambs.

The obligation for men to follow their traditional standards of modesty is not as strict as the obligation for women to follow their traditional standards of modesty.
alexdantas Wrote:By the grace of G-d!
How good to learn from so substantial explanations to intelligent question from friend Joshua. I confess that I had questions about it. I heard various opinions, but without the basis in the Torah.
Taking advantage of this, I ask ...
Staying home alone, or with my parents (father and mother) only, is it permissible to be shirtless? Could I justify because of the temperature in the country where I live, which is around 40/50° Celsius?
Thank you very much.

For a man it is not forbidden, but it will be meritorious if you can have certain times when you will decide to observe a higher level of modesty (such as wearing a T-shirt) in your awareness of G-d's Presence. For example, when you are praying or reading Torah.
Barukhim ha-ba'im!

I was wondering if there is any restrictions on shoes? Such as high heels, tennis shoes, flip flops? What about colors? Thanks very much Rabbis and Directors!
In "The Divine Code," Part VI [The Prohibition of Forbidden Relations], in chapter 6 [Guarding Against Forbidden Relations, and Following Ways of Modesty], Rabbi Moshe Weiner writes:
Quote:Every woman is obligated to act in a modest way, and not to cause others to err through her dressing and acting in a way that brings them to sinful thoughts, and thereby closer to sinful actions, as the Torah says,  “You shall not put a stumbling block before the blind.” For in a similar manner, an immodest woman causes others to sin through her way of dressing and acting...

https://asknoah.org/books/the-divine-code

As the Torah-law itself permits Jewish women to go barefoot in public, that is of course permitted for Gentiles (although many observant Jewish women take on an extra degree of modesty and do keep their feet covered in public).
Any shoes are of course going to add covering to the feet, so that would not be forbidden as an article of clothing.

But we all know that in terms how one *acts,* even a woman who is fully clothed can be *acting* immodestly and trying to arouse men to have sinful thoughts about her, and that goes hand-in-hand with *how* she wears her clothes, meaning her body language, and what style she chooses (for example, is it attention-grabbing). Her shoes or any other part of her clothing can be part of an arousing picture she projects and flaunts in front of men. Doing so is the opposite of the pious conduct that a G'd-fearing woman should aspire to.
B"H

From the Divine Code (p 544, topic 9):

"It is proper that a married woman cover her hair when outside her house or in the presence of men other than her husband."

Can a married Gentile woman cover her hair with long or short wigs? Or does she have to wear a headscarf or veil?
A married Gentile woman is not required to wear a hair covering in public, but it is a proper modest and pious practice to do so. If she chooses to do so, it can be with a hair covering of her choice. But of course the hair covering she chooses to wear in public should not defeat that objective- i.e., it should not result in an appearance which is noticeably less modest than without it.

The reasons for hair coverings for married Gentile women and for married Jewish women are not exactly the same. The reason for Gentiles is based on logic: in many societies in earlier times, a *noticeable* hair covering was known to be a clear visible sign to other men that the woman is married, and this helped to guard against the committing of adultery. Although this practice of covering the hair has been largely abandoned in some modern societies, it is a good thing to follow and promote, especially for Noahides, as it is now associated with extra modesty and piety, above and beyond the logical reason which also is still very applicable.

In contrast, the reason for married Jewish women is first and foremost based on the decree of Jewish Torah Law. Starting from the age of 12, Jewish women are forbidden by Torah Law to "expose nakedness" in public. For Jewish women who have never been married, Torah Law dictates that this requires covering the whole torso until the collarbone is covered, the arms until the elbows are covered, and the legs until the knees are covered. For Jewish women who are married or who have ever been married, the hair on the head becomes defined as another area of "nakedness" that must be covered. Therefore, a wig is a very effective means of making sure that all the hair on the head is covered, in observance of this Jewish Torah Law.

On the other hand, for a married Gentile woman, a natural-looking wig by itself probably will not provide much of a visible sign to other men that she is married. So while it may rightly enhance her own feeling of piety and modesty before G-d, and it is certainly permitted, it may be lacking in the actual logical reason that is meant to be associated with her hair covering, that was explained above.

Note that if a Gentile woman was married and then becomes single again by divorce or widowhood, the reason for covering her hair goes away. But in the corresponding situation for a Jewish woman, the Torah Law for a hair covering remains in effect.