Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Destroy idols and their accessories?
(08-07-2009, 10:06 AM)Director Michael Wrote: Does your community have a paper recycling program? By removing the covers (if hardback) and putting them in with your recycling paper, you'll be helping the environment, as well as accomplishing the disposal of the books. Since they are books that relate to false religious doctrines, there is no sanctity associated with any Divine Names that might be printed in such books in non-Hebrew translation or transliteration.

For more Q & A posts on this subject, see our forum thread titled "Names of G-d in idolatrous texts," at
https://asknoah.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=413
Can I burn or throw away (after tearing ) such books?
It's alright to due either of those things. The objective is to dispose of idolatrous books using some means by which you're confident that somebody else won't be able or likely at all to find them and make use of them as reading material.
(08-07-2009, 10:06 AM)Director Michael Wrote: Does your community have a paper recycling program? By removing the covers (if hardback) and putting them in with your recycling paper, you'll be helping the environment, as well as accomplishing the disposal of the books. Since they are books that relate to false religious doctrines, there is no sanctity associated with any Divine Names that might be printed in such books in non-Hebrew translation or transliteration.

For more Q & A posts on this subject, see our forum thread titled "Names of G-d in idolatrous texts," at
https://asknoah.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=413

Director Michael, Rabbis and fellow Noahides,

I have just recently become aware of the Noahide way of living and am thrilled to have found this site. I have many spiritual books from my previous lifestyle so the suggestion to give them to a recycling program is very helpful. I do, however, also have several Christian bibles. What should I do with those, since the Divine Names are present?

Your help will be greatly appreciated,

Barbara
Greetings Barbara, and thank you for asking.

The answer is the same, and most of all for the scriptures of false (non-Torah) religions: "Since they are books that relate to false religious doctrines, there is no sanctity associated with any Divine Names that might be printed in such books in non-Hebrew translation or transliteration."

One should be careful not to dispose of them in a way that somebody else might be able to pick it up, in whole or in part, and use it for themselves.